Benedict College Communication & Art Department is offering $15,000.00 in scholarships to incoming freshmen who are majoring in Studio Art. Application to this award must include the submission of a portfolio of artworks, an inventory sheet, a written artist statement, and this completed application form.
All scholarships are competitive and awarded on a yearly basis.
Portfolio Application Requirements:
- 8 to 10 pieces demonstrating your strongest work
- Inventory sheet listing all work with titles, media, sizes, and dates
- Written Artist Statement (one page typed, 8 1/2” x 11”, single spaced)
NOTE: Portfolio materials may be submitted in an actual portfolio or in a digital format; websites are
The Scholarship Review Committee expects these materials to be adequately documented and to be carefully and clearly presented. The portfolio introduces student work to the Scholarship Review Committee. We urge students to submit materials of high technical quality. Materials should be organized to show the work in a most favorable way. It is useful to consult with someone else – an art professor or art professional – in order to develop the strongest application possible. The Scholarship Review Committee is looking for students who demonstrate skill, personal direction, ambition, and commitment.
- Show a range of work produced in your high school art classes
- Focus on quality as opposed to quantity
- Indicate time spent to achieve a strong resolution
- Show thought given to the generation and execution of the work
- Show attention to use of materials and processes
- Provide evidence of exploration in form and technique
Please submit completed application/portfolio to:
Professor Gina Moore, Chair
Communication & Arts Department
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
For additional information, please contact Professor Moore @ email@example.com or (803)705-4605