On Wednesday, April 15, 2020, Benedict College will begin the process of applying credits to students’ accounts for unused Room and Board for Spring, 2020. Students will be credited a pro-rated amount for room and board charges that were not able to be used due to the campus closure on March 19, 2020, which was the direct result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Credits will be issued in accordance with the following criteria:
- We will calculate a pro-rated amount of unused meal plan (board) charges per student. The pro-rated amount will extend from Thursday, March 19, 2020 through the last day of classes for the spring semester.
- We will calculate a pro-rated amount of housing charges as of Thursday, March 19, 2020 through the last day of classes for the spring semester.
- Institutional aid and scholarships received from the college (academic, athletic, need-based, band, et. al.) will not be refunded as these amounts were paid by the College rather than the student. We will offset the pro-rated room and board credit against the institutional aid/scholarship and the institutional aid amount will be adjusted in accordance with our published scholarship and financial aid guidelines and policies. Accordingly, students receiving institutional aid in an amount greater than the credit, will not receive a refund.
- If a student has an unpaid balance, the balance will be reduced by the amount of the credit. Any amount remaining after the past due balance is eliminated will be refunded to the student. If the balance is larger than the credit, no refund will be issued and the credit will simply reduce the outstanding balance. Note, refunds will also be subject to the provisions of #3 regarding institutional aid.
- Returning students who do not have a balance and did not receive institutional aid greater than the amount of the credit, will receive the full amount of the credit as a refund unless the student opts to apply the credit to summer school or their anticipated fall semester balance. This is entirely up to the student. If the student selects to have the credit applied toward the next semester’s balance, the credit will be included in the student’s financial aid package for the academic year 2020-2021 as a “room and board grant-in-aid.”
- Graduating seniors who do not have a balance due and did not receive institutional aid (see #3) in excess of the credit amount, will receive a refund, either by direct deposit or check.
For questions regarding the application of the credit, outstanding balance or refund options should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at email@example.com