Policy and Procedures for Handling Complaints Made Against Benedict College
Columbia, SC 29204
- Complaints made against Benedict College, other than complaints made by students currently
enrolled at the College, are reviewed and resolved following a systematic and expeditious process, with the Office of the Chief of Staff serving as the central repository for the record of
the proceedings and resolution of all complaints.
- A person who expresses a complaint about Benedict College must first attempt to resolve the
complaint by working with the person(s) and office with which the complaint originated. If a resolution is not reached with this attempt, the person working with the complaint will advise
the complainant to state his/her complaint in writing, using the Written Complaint and Resolution Form, and submit it to the head of the applicable department. The written complaint
must be stated clearly, to include:
- Complainant’s name, contact information, date of filing the complaint, and signature
- Nature and details of the complaint, including date of occurrence and a detailed description of the incident that resulted in the complaint
- The complainant’s proposed resolution to the complaint
The complaint should be filed as soon as possible after the incident occurs; if this is not feasible,
the complaint should be filed within 90 days.
- The administrative office that receives the Written Complaint and Resolution Form takes the following actions:
- Initiates a record of handling the complaint, using the Written Complaint and Resolution Form, and forwards a copy to the Office of the Chief of Staff for tracking
- Compiles all information necessary for addressing the complaint, which may include conferences with the complainant and consultations with other staff and administrators, and reaches a resolution to the
- Provides a written resolution to the complainant, with a copy to the Office of the Chief of Staff
- Completes the Written Complaint and Resolution Form, files a copy in the respective office, and forwards a copy to the Office of the Chief of Staff
- The complaint should be resolved within sixty (60) days from the date the complaint is filed.
- If the complainant disagrees with the resolution and wishes to pursue the matter further, he/she may appeal to the President of the College.
- The final appeal for written complaints against Benedict College is to the President of the College.
- The Office of the Chief of Staff maintains the records of the proceedings and resolutions of all complaints
against Benedict College.
- If the complainant disagrees with the President’s resolution and wishes to pursue the matter further, he/she has the right to contact the SC Commission on Higher Education at https://www.che.sc.gov/CHE_Docs/AcademicAffairs/License/Complaint_procedures_and_form.pdf