JOB TITLE: MSM Director
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Dean DEPARTMENT: School of Education, Health & Human Services
Founded in 1870 by a woman, Bathsheba A. Benedict, Benedict College is a private co-educational liberal arts institution with over 1,700 students enrolled in its 26 baccalaureate degree programs and 2 master’s degree programs. Defying trends, Benedict College maintains a nearly equal male and female student population. This Midlands HBCU has welcomed students from all 46 counties in South Carolina, 30 states across America, and 26 countries around the world.
Benedict College has a full-time, 12-month, tenure track appointment opening as Director of the Masters in Sport Management (MSM).
Under the general direction of the dean, serves as the principal administrator, advisor, recruiter and operations manager for the MSM program. The MSM director will be expected to teach up to 6 SCH per semester and will be released 50% time for coordination and supervision of program development, assessment of student learning outcomes; innovation of co-curricular enhancements; and coordination of experiential learning, retention activities, and internship and first-destination placements. The MSM director will also be expected to serve on committees at department, school, and college levels; engage in scholarly research appropriate for rank; and participate in public service initiatives.
- Coordinates short- and long-range planning in the MSM program.
- Oversees and manages admissions process.
- Plans and implements recruiting and promotional strategies to improve the standing of the program with the business community.
- Provide leadership for MSM program including but not limited to student retention and recruitment and development of policies and procedures.
- Assesses the unmet educational needs of the sport management community and recommends courses of action to meet those needs.
- Serves as principal program representative to potential applicants, current students and the general public regarding program policies, procedures, requirements and goals.
- Provides academic, career and personal counseling to applicants and students; monitors student progress to ensure a successful graduate experience; manages student and faculty complaints.
- Make decisions regarding academic probation, dismissal, eligibility for graduation, transfers and exceptions to prescribed program.
- Coordinates and publicizes all program activities, including orientation, graduation, placement activities, etc.
- Develop the master course schedule for the MSM program each semester.
- Oversees program assessment plan.
- Teach courses year-round in undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
- Monitors classroom teaching and student records in the MSM program.
- Maintains office hours to advise and assist students.
- Participate in department, school, and college committees.
- Committed to high standards, innovation, and rigor in teaching.
- Supports program, school and college initiatives after hours or on weekends if required.
- Coordinator for special projects (e.g., graduate and undergraduate co-curricular activities and opportunities).
- Maintain an active, scholarly agenda of research.
- Other duties as assigned by Dean.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- MS Office Suites
- Learning Management System
- Student Information System
- Presentation Skills
- Writing Skills
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Terminal degree in sport management or a related area within the program.
- Experience working within an educational or sport business environment.
- Strong management, communication, teamwork and supervisory skills.
- Five (5) or more years teaching experience in higher education.
- Evidence of scholarly publications and teaching effectiveness.
- Evidence of proficiency with learning management systems and online teaching and learning.
Initial review of application materials will begin immediately and will continue until a qualified candidate is hired.
Benedict College will continue to review applications until the position is filled. Please complete the following:
- a completed Faculty and Professional Employment Application https://www.benedict.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/bc_employment_application_faculty_rev-972022.pdf
- Note: This can be found on the Benedict College Careers webpage “Faculty & Professional Application”: https://www.benedict.edu/about-benedict/administration/office-of-human-resources/
- a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications of the position, including teaching experience, research experience and/or leadership experience
- a curriculum vitae
- official college transcript(s)
- three professional reference letters
Submit documents to:
Dr. Akilah Carter-Francique, Dean
School of Education, Health and Human Services
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
For further information, contact:
Dr. Janeen P. Witty, VP Academic Affairs
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
To apply for this job please visit www.benedict.edu.