DIVISION: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Department Chair
DEPARTMENT: Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Health Science
BASIC FUNCTIONS: This position is responsible for setting lab classes and maintaining the teaching labs of chemistry program. The setup requires all materials and equipment to be available for classroom usage by faculty and students. Maintaining activities include stocking and inventorying supplies, checking all equipment to ensure operation, basic troubleshooting of equipment, and communicating with administration and vendor for the necessary repair. This position will be a part of the school and college safety committees. This position requires the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Conducts an operational setup of the lab for use by all students and faculty.
- Maintains administrative processes of ordering and ensuring lab supplies and recording an accurate electronic inventory of chemicals, supplies, materials in the stock room, equipment, and MSDS sheets.
- Responsible for ensuring that all lab supplies, equipment, media, and materials needed are available and all equipment is at optimum operating levels.
- Serves as the resource person for faculty and students in any matters relating to the laboratory by preparing chemical and reagent solutions, and dilutions to specifications and dispenses solutions and chemicals used in the lab
- Maintains general cleaning in the lab, proper storage, collects and processes hazardous waste materials and toxic chemical materials resulting from lab classes according to regulations
- Performs minor repair to equipment; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs according to established procedures by communicating management or vendor for the necessary repair
- Documents lab safety and other incidents according to established safety protocols.
- Maintains various records and prepare reports related to laboratory operations and activities as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned and needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Efficient organizational skills
- Ability to anticipate and respond to emerging needs of students, faculty, and staff of the chemistry program.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry/biology with a minimum of 6 six semester credit hours in chemistry laboratory classes with knowledge of safety regulations and ability to perform specialized and technical duties to ensure efficient lab operation.
- Experience as a laboratory technician with knowledge of storing equipment, materials, and supplies and some skills of occupational hazards and standard lab safety practices will be preferred.
Qualified applicants should submit:
- a completed Benedict College application
- a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a copy of college transcript(s)
- a list of three references with contact information
Official transcripts and background check will be required before hiring.
To ensure full consideration, complete application should be received by November 30, 2022
Submit Application Packet to:
For further information, contact:
Professor Larry Lowe, Chair,
Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Health Science Department
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
To apply for this job please visit www.benedict.edu.