DIVISION: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Department Chair
DEPARTMENT: Computer Science, Physics and Engineering Department
The Computer Science, Physics and Engineering Department at Benedict College invites applications for full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Computer Science beginning Fall 2023.The candidates should have a strong commitment to teaching, research, and service. Applicants must demonstrate teaching excellence in their specialties and an interest in curriculum innovation. Expertise in instructional technology is desirable. The successful applicants teaching responsibilities will include traditional introductory, intermediate, and upper-level courses in computer science. Familiarity with ABET Requirements for accreditation and Canvas, our Learning Management System, are desirable. Faculty members are also expected to participate in community service activities. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the Benedict College Mission.
- Teach lower and upper-level computer science courses that align with professional expertise and the needs of the department;
- Participate in curriculum development and contribute to the department’s planning and growth;
- Advise students and providing individual help to students during weekly office hours;
- Provide academic and career advising to students in the major;
- Establish an active undergraduate research program;
- Perform regular scholarly research and publication;
- Assist with students recruitment and retention;
- Provide service to the department, school, college, community, and profession;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to teach lower and upper-level undergraduate computer science courses
- Knowledge in pedagogy and teaching techniques for first-time college students and students from underserved populations;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Effective instructional delivery;
- Proficient in the use of instructional technology;
- Ability to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Ability to conduct respectful relationships with students both in and outside the classroom;
- Ability to work collegially and productively within the university community;
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures;
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Ph.D. in Computer Science
Qualified applicants should submit:
- a completed Benedict College application,
- a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications of the position,
- a research plan (2-5 pages)
- a teaching statement demonstrating knowledge of teaching first-generation college students and diverse student populations,
- unofficial transcript(s)
- a list of three references with contact information.
Official transcripts and background check will be required before hiring. Review of applications will begin on January 9, 2023, and continue until the position is filled.
Submit Application Packet to:
For further information, contact:
Professor Fouzi Arammash, Chair,
Computer Science, Physics and Engineering Department
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
To apply for this job please visit www.benedict.edu.