JOB TITLE: Assistant Professor of Chemistry (Organic) DIVISION: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Department Chair DEPARTMENT: Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Health Science
This is a full-time position, 9-month tenure-track, beginning August 1, 2023. Teaching responsibilities will include organic chemistry lecture and laboratory courses and other courses as assigned. Additional responsibilities include advising students for degree completion and career development, plus providing individual support during office hours. Faculty members are expected to contribute to department planning and growth. Maintaining an ongoing and active research agenda is required for obtaining tenure status with the college. Faculty members are also expected to participate in community service activities. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the Benedict College Mission.
- Teach lower and upper-level chemistry lecture and laboratory courses that align with professional expertise and the needs of the department;
- Participate in curriculum development and contribute to the department’s planning and growth;
- Advise students and providing individual help to students during weekly office hours;
- Provide academic and career advising of chemistry majors;
- Establish an active undergraduate research program;
- Perform regular scholarly research and publication;
- Provide service to the department, school, college, community, and profession;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to teach lower and upper-level undergraduate chemistry courses
- Knowledge in pedagogy and teaching techniques for first-time college students and students from underserved populations;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Effective instructional delivery;
- Proficient in the use of instructional technology;
- Ability to actively engage students in the learning process;
- Ability to effectively manage and maintain a classroom environment that is condusive for learning;
- Ability to work collegially and productively within the university community;
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures;
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or a closely related field.
Qualified applicants should submit:
- a completed Benedict College application,
- a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications of the position,
- a research plan (2-5 pages)
- a teaching statement demonstrating knowledge of teaching first-generation college students and diverse student populations,
- unofficial transcript(s)
- a list of three references with contact information.
Official transcripts and background check will be required before hiring.
Submit Application Packet to:
For further information, contact:
Professor Larry Lowe, Chair,
Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Health Science Department
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
To apply for this job please visit www.benedict.edu.