Dr. Roslyn Clark Artis
President and CEO
Dear BC Faculty and Staff,
Benedict College and our Risk and Emergency Response team continue to diligently monitor updates and reports from the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) about COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus, and we are taking appropriate measures for the safety of all BC Tigers – students, faculty and staff. As these updates are moving swiftly, it’s important that you stay updated and informed of basic measures everyone should take to minimize the risk of contracting and spreading the coronavirus, which causes COVID-19.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for more than 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer that is 60% alcohol or greater.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless washing hands beforehand.
- If you are sick, contact your supervisor and avoid coming to work.
- If you are experiencing symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath, you should contact your health care provider. The Medical University of South Carolina also is offering free virtual COVID-19 screenings and consultations to anyone in South Carolina experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms.
Benedict continues to work closely with DHEC, the CDC and the City of Columbia to ensure our planning is based on the best available information from public health experts.
I am meeting daily with members of our Risk Management team on COVID-19, and we are analyzing the feasibility of various campus scenarios in the event that we decide to alter our academic schedule following spring break.
I will keep you updated as new information becomes available. Updated guidance for preventing the spread of COVID-19 is being posted to the BC website https://www.benedict.edu/covid-19-updates/ with easy to follow links regarding travel information, latest updates from DHEC and the CDC and other information to keep you and families safe.
For additional questions, please contact your immediate supervisors or Ceeon Smith, Chief of Staff, Ceeon.email@example.com or 803-705-4558.
Thank you for doing your part to promote health and wellness on the campus of Benedict College.
Dr. Roslyn C. Artis, President & CEO