Language Arts Camp was founded in 1986 by the late Dr. Willease Sanders, a former English professor at the College. Located on Benedict’s beautiful campus, Language Arts Camp is a summer enrichment program for elementary and middle school children, grades K-8. The program provides enrichment in reading, writing, math, and the performing arts. Additionally, the program includes afternoon recreational activities such as life skills, world cultures, movies, basketball and other gym activities.
(Swimming is offered as gratuity, if the pool is available and does not conflict with the college’s class schedule.) The children will have an opportunity to participate in the Mr./Miss Language Arts Camp pageant, and the development of a camp yearbook. A culminating program exhibiting acquired skills from each educational component, will be presented at the end of camp. Classroom lessons will be structured to provide students with the concepts and skills needed to improve their scores on examinations such as the Palmetto Assessment of State Standards (PASS.).
July 1 - July 25, 2019
This summer, camp is scheduled for July 1st -25th. The camp will be held Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (There will be no camp July 3rd and 4th due to the fourth of July holiday.) The designated arrival time is 7:30-7:55 a.m. in the lobby of the Henry Ponder Fine Arts Humanities Center. The cost of camp is $364.00 per child (lunch, and health fees are included). There is a 10% discount for two or more children within the same family. A $50.00 non-refundable application fee must be paid (as soon as possible) to the Business Office to secure your child’s acceptance into the program. (If all slots are full, your check will be refunded.) The $50.00 application fee will be deducted from the total cost of the program. Apply now while slots are still available. Class size will be limited.
***Special Discounts ***
- 10% discount for multiple children within the same family
- Benedict Faculty/Staff: 10% discount
- (no more than one discount per applicant/group)
Return the attached application along with a $50.00 cashier’s check, money order, or receipt of payment to the program director:
Mrs. Emmie J. Davis
Benedict College Language Arts Camp
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, South Carolina 29204
OR… You may elect to take the application to Room 310 (or Room 304) in the Henry Ponder Fine Arts Humanities Center.
- Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into the program. Upon acceptance, applicants will report to the Business Office, Pratt Hall, or FAHC 310 (OR 304) in order to pay the remaining program tuition. Applicants paying on campus may pay by cash, credit card, money order, or cashier’s check. If you are unable to come on campus, you may mail the balance. Mailed payments must be in the form of certified check or money order made payable to Benedict College Language Arts Camp…no personal checks please. Tuition must be paid in full by May 31st, 2019. The account number is: 20-73014-4923
- Applicants may elect to pay the entire tuition at once. Completing registration (paying the entire tuition) on or before May 31st guarantees acceptance into the program. Applicants paying at the business office should immediately submit a copy of the payment receipt to the program director (FAHC 310) for an accurate financial status of your application. You will then receive your registration packet.
Official on-site registration is scheduled for: May 15th from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., AND May 31st from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 2019, in room 310 Henry Ponder Fine Arts Center.