Submitting Scholarship Checks to Benedict College

Where and when should scholarship checks be mailed?

Mail checks to:

Benedict College
Office of Student Financial Aid
Attention: Mrs. Monique Rickenbaker
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204

The Office of Student Financial Aid is responsible for receiving, recording, and entering scholarship check into the College's awarding system. Once entered, the checks are routed to the Benedict's cashier's for disbursement to the student's account.

It is preferable that the checks be sent from the
donor directly to the Office of Student Financial
Aid. If the donor provides the check directly to the student, the student should submit the check to the Office of Student Financial Aid. Do not mail checks to Benedict College Billing Office or enclose the check as payment with the college bill.

Students will receive a College Bill (assessment form) from Benedict College Office of Student Financial Services in August for the fall semester and in January for the spring semester. Therefore, please send scholarship checks prior to August 1 and January 1 for the scholarship to appear as a credit on the student's bill. Scholarship checks received after the billing dates will be credited to the university bill on a daily basis.

If students must send a copy of their bill to a donor/agency, the student can request that an invoice be sent to the donor or agency from the Office of Student Financial Services.

What information is needed on the checks and/or correspondence?

The student's full name and last four ssn number, and Personal Information should be included on the check and/or any correspondence. Indicate if the check is to cover academic year expenses or expenses for a particular semester (fall or spring or
summer session). If there is no indication for the time period the check is to cover, the funds will automatically be used for the academic year (half for the fall semester, half for the spring semester.)

It is preferable that checks be made payable only to the Benedict College. If the check is made payable to the student or co-payable to the student and the College, additional time may be needed to obtain the student's endorsement on the check this could cause a delay in the student receiving the scholarship funds. The donor's name, address, and phone number should be included on the check
or with the correspondence in case the Office of Student Financial Aid needs to contact the donor.

Are students required to enroll full-time?

It is assumed that the student will be enrolled fulltime (12 or more hours per semester). If the
scholarship does not require full-time enrollment, indicate this on the check or in the correspondence that accompanies the check.

How can students get verification of their enrollment?

After students have registered for courses, they can go to the Office of the Registrar to obtain an enrollment verification letter and, if required submit it to the donor or agency.

Who to contact if there are questions:

Call Mrs. Monique Rickenbaker, Office of Student Financial Aid at (803) 705-4655 or e-mail her at

Previous Page