The Circulation/Periodicals (part of the Access/Research Services Department) manages, and maintains the circulating collection of the library. It is responsible for charging and discharging books, returning books to the stacks, and making sure the stacks are in order. In addition, it is responsible for signing out periodicals for in-house use; providing statistics of books and periodical usage; renewing books; maintaining loan and delinquent information; and processing claims and overdue fines.
The Library collection and services are available primarily for students, faculty, and staff of the College. The College issues an identification card to all students. This card must be presented at the Circulation/Periodicals Desk before checking out library materials. Check out procedures includes:
- Obtain call number for needed items from the online catalog
- Check with a librarian, if uncertain of location
- Pull items from shelves
- Take items to Circulation/Periodicals Desk
- Present ID
Reserve Reading Collection
The Library accepts requests for items to be placed "on reserve" each semester, by faculty members for their respective classes. All materials designated by faculty members for required reading are kept on shelves behind the Circulation/Periodicals Desk. Reserve materials must be used in the library during operating hours, but may circulate for overnight use if authorized by the faculty member and materials are not in use. These materials must be returned within thirty minutes after opening on the following day. Afterward, a fine of $.30 per hour will be charged until materials are returned. Reserves are issued on a "first come, first served" basis."
Students: 21 days (10 items)
Faculty: 30 days (20 items)
Reciprocal Borrowing: 10 days (5 items)
Benedict College Library extends the privileges of Reciprocal Borrowing to eligible faculty and students of South Carolina colleges and universities, including those participating in distance learning programs. Individuals desiring this service must direct inquiries, in person, at the circulation desk.
Who can Borrow Library Materials?
- Students currently enrolled at BC.
- Faculty and staff currently employed at BC.
- Alumni of BC.
- Participants in special programs affiliated with BC, such as Upward Bound.
- Others who may secure an ID from BC with borrowing privileges (incl. Agreements with College/University Libraries in SC).
Requirement to Borrow Library Materials
- For Benedict College faculty, staff and students, Benedict College identification card with photo.
- For other faculty, staff and students, a statewide borrowing card from a participating college/university library in South Carolina under the statewide borrowing agreement.
- For others, Benedict Library Access Card or an Interlibrary loan request submitted by the personnel of their library that has agreed to be responsible for the return of the materials borrowed.
- For Circulation Policies (loan and fines), click on button below.