The mission of the Recreation and Leisure Services (RSL) degree program is to enable our students to be a power for good in society through the provision of leisure services in their community. Our program provides students with the knowledge, skills, understandings, and values required to assess, develop and implement innovative solutions to societal problems in the form of recreation and leisure program services. Graduates can enhance opportunities for stakeholders to improve their quality of life by using leisure to attain optimal health and well-being. Efforts will also be directed at preparing all students to fully participate in a global society.
The philosophy of the Recreation and Leisure Services Program is that education is the foundation for the development of the whole person. Thus, all students who enter the recreation and leisure program of study deserve the best possible education. We further believe that this education should be designed so that graduates can be a power for good professionally and in their communities. Graduates can be a power for good by participating in community and professional service activities that address leisure habits, health, quality of life, and well-being in the larger community.
The purpose of the Recreation and Leisure Program is to provide the best possible teaching and learning environment to produce competent and well-qualified graduates in the field of Recreation and Leisure Services. It is expected that these graduates will become leaders in the profession who advocate for the role of leisure services programs (1) as essential services that can improve quality of life through active living and (2) as a way to educate individuals about the benefits that a lifestyle that incorporates leisure can have on health, quality of life, and well-being.
The goals of the Recreation and Leisure Services program are an outgrowth of its philosophy and purpose. The goals are as follows:
- To provide a broad education for our students that integrates knowledge from other disciplines for the purpose of understanding leisure in its full social context
- To teach students to understand underlying societal structures and their impacts on leisure as well as how leisure can impact society
- To teach students about the role of leisure in health, quality of life, and well being for individuals and in communities
- To provide learning experiences that foster an understanding of leisure's impact on the individual
- To educate students about the role and impact of technology on leisure experiences and leisure program service delivery
For more information about Recreation and Leisure Services, please contact Dr. Dovie Gamble, Program Coordinator. Dr. Gamble can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 803-705-4775.
See College Catalogue for Courses and Programs of Study plus more information.