Columbia, SC -- January 12, 2012 -- The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools has reaffirmed the accreditation status of Benedict College for the next 10 years. According to Dr. Ruby W. Watts, Executive Vice President and SACS-COC Accreditation Liaison at Benedict College, "Reaffirmation of accreditation means that Benedict College is able to attract, hire, and retain highly educated, trained, and experienced faculty and staff to administer our academic and support programs."
The reaffirmation confirms that Benedict College has specified educational objectives that are consistent with its Mission and appropriate to the degrees offered. Currently, the College holds several national accreditations for specific academic programs in addition to its full accreditation:
- The School of Education at Benedict College is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), www.ncate.org.
- The Program in Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- The Environmental Health Science Program is accredited by the National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council (EHAC).
- The Recreation and Leisure Services Program is accredited by the National Recreation and Park Association (in association with the American Association for Leisure and Recreation).
- The School of Business and Economics is accredited by the Accredited Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- The Visual Arts Program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
- The Child Development Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Documents describing accreditation may be reviewed upon request in the President's Office or the Office for Academic Affairs. The next reaffirmation of accreditation for Benedict College will be 2021.