It is the home of the …
- Nationally-ranked, award-winning, Benedict College Gospel Choir
- Honors Debate Team Champions.
- Basketball Team Champions (Men and Women).
- Cross Country Team Champions (Men).
National Academic Accreditations:
- The School of Business and Economics is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- Social Work Program was the 1st HBCU social work program in South Carolina to be nationally accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- The Recreation and Leisure Services Program is accredited by the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA).
- The Fine Arts Program is accredited by the National Association of Art and Design (NASAD)
- Benedict College is the 2nd HBCU in the nation and the 1st in South Carolina to receive national accreditation for its Environmental Health Program by the Environmental Health Accreditation Council (EHAC).
- The Child Development Center serves over 70 children and is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Benedict College is accredited by the by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097; Telephone number 404.679.4501 to award: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Social Work.
National Academic Rankings:
- Benedict College was ranked 1 of the top 10 colleges in the nation in producing African Americans with an undergraduate Physics degree, as reported by the Education and Employment Statistic Division of the American Institute of Physics.
- The School of Honors Model African Union Team won 1st Place at the 2011 National Association of African American Honors Programs Conference.
- The Benedict College Debate Team won 1st Place at the National Association of African-Americans Honors Program Conference, October 2005, 2007 and 2009.
- The Benedict College pioneering Service Learning Program is a national model program and serves over 114 non-profit organizations around the SC Midlands. The program recently won the 6th Annual Commission on Higher Education’s Service Learning Competition.
- The Corporation for National and Community Service honored Benedict College for the second consecutive year with a place on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for exemplary service to America's communities.
- The Benedict-Allen Community Development Corporation was established to acquire, rehabilitate, resell or lease sub-standard housing and remove blight from surrounding College neighborhoods.
- The Business Development Center (BDC) was opened with the goal to educate and produce minority entrepreneurs. The BDC offers a Revolving Loan Fund to new businesses.
- The Business Development Center recently partnered with the FDIC to implement its Money Smart program that teaches people how to understand credit, personal budgets and assesses the cost and benefits of consumer and home loans.
- A $1.5 million grant was awarded to the Center of Excellence for Education and Equity of African-American Children.
- In 2007, the Benedict College's Trio Program received $1.6 million through 2011.
- Benedict has a very diverse faculty which is 80% full-time faculty and 20% part-time faculty with 60% holding a PhD or equivalent.
- Dr. Samuel A. Darko, Associate Professor of Environment Health Science is the recipient of the South Carolina Council of Independent Colleges and Universities.
- Dr. Thrisha Shriver , Assistant Professor of Education is the 2010-2011 Benedict College Distinguished Faculty Member of the Year.
Benedict received grant of $1.18 million in 2010 from the Department of Energy. The funds will be used for research relating to radioactive materials cleanup and for the creation of a South Carolina HBCU Center of Excellence in Radiation Safety Training. Benedict will also establish a Bachelor of Science program in engineering and bolster existing internship programs at SRS environmental and increase the number of minorities in the environmental science field.
Benedict College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Benedict College.